Recognize Common Pavement Defects and Ensure Timely Repair
From cracks and potholes to depressions and bumpy patches, there are many pavement defects that need your immediate attention. Unfortunately, they are often mistaken as ‘normal’ wear and tear and are largely ignored. However, neglect not only leads to further deterioration in structure and safety issues but huge replacement expenses as well.
Our paving experts at American Asphalt have listed the top 5 pavement defects to look out for and repair in a timely, professional manner:
- Alligator cracking: This is a structural failure that is caused by heavy loads, poor drainage, a surface or sub-base that is too thin, or a combination of all three factors. Since it is a structural issue, full-depth patching is required.
- Potholes: These small, bowl-shaped depressions typically penetrate all the way to the base layer. A result of moisture or water infiltration and neglected alligator cracks, small pieces of the pavement can get dislodged when vehicles drive over. Repairing potholes in time is an efficient and affordable way to maintain roads, pavements and other paved surfaces.
- Linear cracks: These longitudinal cracks may be caused by poor joint construction (as well as movement) and pavement fatigue. They are most likely to occur where two pavement slabs come together, as this is the weakest part of the paved surface.
- Depressions: Small localized areas of depression can lead to structural failure and complete pavement replacement. Determining the root cause e.g. weak asphalt mixes, moisture infiltration, subgrade settlement, etc. is critical to cost-effective repair work. The affected area should be completely removed and the subgrade replaced.
- Shoving: The formation of ripples or bumpy patches is called shoving. It is typically caused by poor quality asphalt materials, excessive moisture in the subgrade or heavy loads.
The team at American Asphalt will work closely with you to identify a lasting and cost-effective pavement repair solution. Commercial property owners and managers in the Bay Area rely on our local paving company to maintain attractive and safe premises. From crack filling to asphalt patching, pothole repairs and pavement replacement, we work with attention to detail. To ensure timely completion and a quality finish, every aspect of the job is handled in-house. Every new pavement installation also comes with a unique 3-year warranty.
Pavement services by American Asphalt will help keep your property attractive and safe. We offer customized pavement maintenance plans to reduce your repair and replacement costs.
Customers across the Bay Area, including those in Hayward, San Jose, Fremont, Mountain View, Santa Clara, Sunnyvale, Milpitas, Pleasanton, Livermore, San Leandro, Newark, Union City, Gilroy, Palo Alto, Marin County, San Mateo, Burlingame, and Walnut Creek areas rely on our pavement repair services to maintain a safe and attractive property.
Contact us to learn more about the top pavement defects to look for and repair. Call us at 800-541-5559 to inquire about our paving services.
Related Blog Posts
No related blog posts found.